vijay chekuri ux designer

Online Venue booking website

VenuePoint is one of the known websites in Malaysia.Users can book venues and list their places. Being an early-stage startup, the branding for the company hadn’t yet been well defined. The aim was to create a fun and colourful brand concept that incorporated the existing website design.

Scroll Down
vijay chekuri ux designer

My Role

Research, Concept, Ideation, Wireframing, Prototyping, UX/UI, Front-end Development.

Duration

175 days.

Year Launched : 2017-18

Team Size

03.

1 (me) + 2 (Backend Developer)

Tools Used

vijay chekuri ux designer

1. Overview

I was the WEB / UX / UI / Front-end Designer at Digital Symphony(Malaysia), and worked in collaboration with the development team. I am responsible for the redesign of the website by creating Design concepts and research, user flows, wireframes, and visual designs for features of the experiences.

The reason behind this website is to make people life easy when they want to book a place for Celebrations, Parties and meetings etc. on the other hand people can list their space on the website. After throwing around a bunch of different ideas, we decided to take an illustrative + Agile approach. They had a very basic website but we started this as a brand-new project.

This case study shows that visual design alone can have a huge impact on the UX of a web page.

2. Problems

  • Good search option
  • Don't have a request a quote facility
  • Outdated Design.
  • Outdated quote request form
  • Limited Functionality
  • Limited venues
  • No customer service support
  • No Promotions activity
  • Less / Confusing information
  • Confusing user flow

3. Goals

Our goal was to improve the user experience, modernise the aesthetic and increase conversions on venue bookings. After talking to the client and considering the target market, it was clear to me that we needed to create a very traditional, high-end brand aesthetic.

  • Request a quote facility
  • Simplifying user journey
  • Smart categorisation
  • Follow complete brand guidelines
  • More informative
  • Less Box-shadows
  • MYR pricing
  • Account / Profile Creation
  • Address / payment options
  • Listing Options

4. Process

A.

Requirements Gathering & Discovery Research

In order to achieve such a goal, it was absolutely necessary to gain the information about where the old solution was failing and what business results should the new design bring.I lead and execute our on-site intercept surveys, extensive competitor / industry parallel analysis, broad and focused journey-mapping, and group requirement-gathering sessions,Interviews with the client.

vijay chekuri ux designer vijay chekuri ux designer
B.

User Flow Research

By gaining a deeper understanding of the needs of customers, we were able to design an account area that better served the most common support needs. These included updating their contact details, making changes to their order etc.

vijay chekuri ux designer
C.

Wireframing , Low-fed

Since we needed to work with existing website elements, we decided to break things up into modules, prioritise them and sketch out ideas for each one and how they might be laid out on the page. We also came up with ideas for some simple new elements to improve the page.

vijay chekuri ux designer
C.

Low-fed to High-fed

After blocking out the basic layout of the page we moved on to more detailed sketches of each module. I’ll go through the basic thought process behind each module design separately below.Arriving at our high-fidelity coded solution included checkpoints with our internal development teams, adapting with complex datasets, and building rich specification guidelines for our solution.

vijay chekuri ux designer
C.

Listings search - Low-fed to High-fed

When I sketch a new interface, I often like to draw components on paper and then cut them out and stick them onto a larger sheet of paper with Blu-Tack. It makes it easier to move things around and change certain parts of the interface without needing to re-sketch the rest of it repeatedly.

vijay chekuri ux designer

07. Main Part (UX / UI)

The project required a high level of collaboration between the design team and stakeholders which meant facilitating workshops and co-design sessions. To gain a better understanding of the challenges involved, it meant spending time interviewing VenuePoint stakeholders, speaking with call centre staff about support question they answer and conducting research sessions with existing / potential customers about their expectations and needs.

The wireframes follow all the best practices i.e. icons, visuals, clear start and communicating success at the end. From all the research and user testing the wireframes and prototype that were created were the best representation of what the Trade-in site can do.

Once we were happy with the new design above, we A/B tested it against the old one on a small portion of our user base.As a result , Users enjoyed the new experience and understood the basic design engagements, and i learned that any product can be enhanced through research.

ms-final
ms-final

08. The Result

, the new design worked wonders, performing better than the old one in key areas. While the limited technical scope did narrow our design options, it was a fun and challenging project to work on. I think it demonstrates how purely visual design changes can have a significant impact on the user experience and conversion rate of a homepage/listings page.

Business is running very smoothly and better. They are receiving minimum 1000 bookings per month (depends on season).

Bookings

Total: 12,389+ bookings
Old Website(2016) New Website(2017)